The future of surgery begins nowJune 1, 2018
It’s official: we’ve finalized the designs for expanding our VGH Phil & Jennie Gaglardi Surgical Centre.
More than 150 VGH perioperative physicians and staff, as well as patient and family representatives, contributed to the VGH OR Renewal plans. “I can say without hesitation that the project team and many members of the surgical program have had a say in what their space will be and contributed to the designs,” says Shelly Fleck, operations director, surgical services, Vancouver Acute.
The $102-million project jointly funded by VCH, VGH & UBC Hospital Foundation and the BC government will expand the VGH surgical suite to the third floor of Jim Pattison Pavilion (JPP) North, directly above our current surgical suite. The expansion is scheduled to open in early 2021.
“It’s reassuring to know that the project is on time and budget, and I’m excited by the opportunities,” says Dr. Marcel Dvorak, spine surgeon and associate senior medical director, Vancouver Acute. “The care and attention to the design will increase our surgical capacity and provide a safer environment for patients and staff.”
State-of-the-art patient care spaces
The new surgical suite will include state-of-the-art patient care spaces:
- 16 spacious universal operating rooms (ORs) with a standardized layout, and each with a ceiling-mounted patient lift to improve patient and staff safety
- 1 Perioperative Care Unit (PCU) with 40 pre- and post-operative bays, each with walls and sliding glass doors for patient privacy and a dedicated computer for bedside charting
More space for staff to learn and recharge
Physician and staff educational, personal and wellness needs are also part of the plans. The new surgical suite will include:
- 1 Education Centre equipped with a classroom and a computer lab
- 1 multipurpose room with a videoconference link to the ORs for education
- 1 female and 1 male change room with total of more than 1,100 lockers
- 1 private breast-pumping room for physician and staff mothers
- 1 staff lounge with a kitchen and dedicated quiet zone for rest
Construction of new elevator shaft begins in June
A new elevator for the exclusive use of the perioperative team between the current surgical suite and the new suite on the third floor of JPP North will be built as well.
Work on the elevator shaft will begin in June, as will demolition on the third floor of JPP North, where construction of the new surgical suite kicks off in 2019. Teams working in the vicinity of construction activity will be kept informed regularly.
“I’m not aware of any project that has given staff the opportunity to have a voice like this one has,” says Kelly-Anne Karse, head nurse of the VGH OR Control Desk. “I almost can’t believe that we’re finally here — it’s actually going to happen!”
“There’s been a lot of talking and a lot of listening,” agrees John Filer, clinical project manager. “Now it’s time for action.”
Visit the VGH OR Renewal Project site to learn more.