PHO order limiting social interactionsNovember 9, 2020
The Provincial Health Officer announced a temporary order yesterday (in effect until Nov. 23, 2020) to help curb the recent increase in COVID-19 transmissions.
To help our Public Health team who is working diligently to support these changes, we ask you to please refrain from contacting the Medical Health Officers directly with questions. Staff and medical staff are invited to participate in our virtual townhall this Thursday at 11 a.m. and to check our intranet for regular updates.
Travel for staff and medical staff
- Staff and medical staff are permitted to travel for work within and across the regions.
- It is recommended that staff and medical staff do not travel into or out of the regions for non-essential purposes.
Group physical activities
- All indoor group activities related to our clinical programs may continue (e.g. cardiac or other rehabilitation programs), as they are health-care services.
- Businesses (such as gyms, fitness and recreational centres) that offer indoor group physical activities and require review of their COVID-19 safety plans should submit them by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. General questions should not be submitted to this email.
- The requirement for businesses and work sites to conduct active, daily in-person screening of all on-site workers for COVID-19 does not apply to our health-care sites as our staff and medical staff already follow public health guidelines and adhere to infection and prevention control measures.
- Active pre-shift screening of all staff working in long-term care facilities is already in place and will continue.
- Screening of visitors will continue as it has been at our hospitals and other sites, including at long-term care homes.
Social interactions and gatherings
- For the next two weeks, do not host any gatherings in your household with anyone you do not normally live with, even friends and family. Those who live alone can continue to socialize with one or two social contacts in their homes.
- Receptions following weddings and funerals are prohibited, but the services themselves can continue with the appropriate COVID-19 safety plans.
- All other gatherings outside of those in private dwellings and wedding or funeral receptions can continue following existing guidelines and orders, including planned Remembrance Day ceremonies.
Please join us at our next VCH Virtual Town Hall on Thursday, November 12 at 11 a.m. to find out more information. The Ministry of Health information on the orders is available on the B.C. government website, and the November 7, 2020 joint statement is also available here.