Rural Continuing Medical Education (RCME)

The RCME program provides physicians with funding opportunities for medical education to update and enhance medical skills and credentials required for rural practice. These benefits are in addition to the CME entitlement provided for in the Benefits Subsidiary Agreement between the BC Government and Doctors of BC.

The Program

  • Administered and managed by the health authorities according to the policies established by the JSC.
  • Physicians may use funds for individual or group education purposes.
  • Funds may also be used to:
    • Cover overhead expenses while attending medical training.
    • Purchase new technology or upgrades necessary for participation in CME.
  • Physicians can transfer unspent/banked funds to another health authority when relocating to another community eligible under the RSA.
  • Physicians may bank RCME funds for up to three years from the year it was earned. A physician’s annual RCME allowance is dependent on the designation of his or her community and the length of time he or she has practiced in that community.


  • Physicians must reside and practice in an eligible RSA community for a minimum of nine months per year.
  • A physician who qualifies for RCME but does not stay in a community covered by this agreement for a minimum of 12 months is eligible for a prorated amount.

RSA Communities that reside within VCH demographics are:

A Communities Bella Bella/Waglisla
Bella Coola
B Communities Powell River
C Communities Sechelt/Gibsons

Claim Forms:

For completion by MD’s who practice & reside within a Rural Practice Subsidiary Agreement (RSA) VCH community and are eligible to receive funding as per the Rural Programs overseen by the Joint Standing Committee and Ministry of Health.  Please select the community which you reside in below for the RCME claim form. 



  • Please print or type information on the claim forms.
  • Original receipts must be attached with each claim.
  • Please tape loose receipts to a blank letter sized page for expedited processing.
  • If claims are in foreign currency (e.g. USD), please attach a copy of your credit card statement along with the original receipts.
  • Credit Card statements or receipts without itemized details are not accepted.
  • All claims must be approved by your Local Medical Director and submitted to the address noted on the bottom of the form for processing.

Funding/Claims note:

Funding is provided to VCH from the Ministry on a quarterly basis.  Should a claim exceed the current funds available for a provider the claim will be placed on hold until the Ministry has provided VCH with the funding. Partial payments cannot be processed.


Please contact Julian Jamieson, Regional Coordinator, Medical Affairs, Physician Recruitment and Benefits at: 604-875-5084 or