International graduates

​​​If you are an International Medical Graduate (IMG) without a credentialing certificate, contact Health Match BC. They provide advice and support with your required preliminary assessment through the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC (CPSBC).

What if I’m trained outside of Canada?

The BC Physician Integration Program provides IMGs with a comprehensive orientation and introduction to the provincial health care system. You must be on the registry with the CPSBC.

If you are holding provisional licensure, you must participate in a two-day orientation conference in Vancouver. You will also have access to ongoing support resources.

Learn more on the BC Physician Integration Program website.

What if I’m a Cana​dian trained outside of Canada and the USA?

Canadians who have trained in medical schools outside of Canada and the United States can apply to become medical residents in British Columbia. Currently, the positions are open only to IMGs who have been through the National Assessment Collaboration Examination.

The CPSBC requires completion of the Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Exam before you can practice in B.C. unless you are specifically exempted. In most cases, the exam is required before you arrive in B.C.

You must also meet the CPSBC’s English Language Proficiency Requirements.

Want to learn more?